In 2002, we merged five teams of highly experienced software consultants into a worldwide team at Rational Software. We had about 300 seasoned consultants who sold and delivered transformational services in improving software productivity and we wanted to manage them with a common culture and business model.
Posts Tagged ‘teamwork’
Here is a list of my core values:
- Self-respect. Personal health (mental, physical, spiritual) is a prerequisite to happiness.
- Sincerity. Practice what you preach. Hypocrisy is always poisonous.
- Production. Value what you produce more than what you consume.
- Teamwork. Celebrate team results over individual accomplishments.
- Environmentalism. Treat nature as a sanctuary of shared resources.
- Insight. Diversity of thought, and critical thinking are crucial components of progress in any field.
- Share. Communicate with purpose. Stress accuracy over precision.
- Priorities. Do what you should before you do what you want.
- Integrity. Build trust in all relationships. Always take the high road.
- Balance. Build usable broad skills. Avoid obsessions.
Over the last two decades, I have led several workshops where the discussion centered on improving team collaboration and the establishment of a high trust environment. This is a nice aspiration, but not a well-defined term. And, it would materialize into many forms depending on context. Nevertheless, there were some recurring principles that emerged from these discussions. Here is a synthesis of the signal that came out of all the noise in those workshops. (more…)